Sunday, November 28, 2010

Brunch of the Gods

The title may be a little overzealous but what else do I call it?  After over three years of Durham living and countless weekends spent searching for the perfect brunch spot - one has been found!  Not to say that there aren't a few decent breakfast places, or a few standby greasy spoons.  But, this has been a really joyous occasion for me.  It doesn't take much to keep this foodie happy.  I had a whole other blog entry planned and could do a whole other one on breakfast... but this is neither.  A special thing happened this morning to throw a wrench into my plans.  I also secretly vowed to avoid mentioning a certain trio of restaurants that are very popular in this area because it has been done.  Everyone loves them, I know, I just wanted to tell you something unique in this blog and I guess I have my angle of uniqueness to break that vow.

The Brock House has delivered.  I've visited a few times for some appetisers or a meal, it is close to home and carries a great atmosphere, but it is one piece of decadence that they've wowed me with.  Yes, their brunch.  I thought of their block-lettered sign when I woke up this morning and checked out their website for specifics, the date and time was correct, so I headed out to try it on the 4th Sunday since they debuted their Fresh Market Marche.  It is a brunch buffet with all the trimmings.  The features are set to change regularly but I can tell you they have everything you need for a decadent weekend midday meal. 

On the menu are the old favourites - bacon, eggs and toast, bagels, some English bangers and of course a make-your-own-omelet station.  Crepes, check, waffles, check, fruit compote as a garnish.  And, a meat carving station which today featured a stuffed pork roast.  This roast also made me go against my "no pork other than bacon" rule just so I could taste the stuffing (with apples) that my partner in crime raved about.  It was good.  They have something really good going here.  Not only that, but they added some real creativity to the mix.  As I made my way down the buffet, I also discovered seafood paella, veal and chicken Parmesan, broccoli au gratin and their famous cheddar mash.  Further discussion with our server confirmed that these are the items that will change but I can only anticipate what they will bring out next.  One of the highlights of this brunch buffet has to be the inhouse pizza oven which they use to full advantage with a make-your-own-pizza station as well.  What else could you ask for of a weekend meal?  Big plates?  They have those too.  Gigantic ones.  A little unnecessary but certainly useful.

I have determined that this will not be my last brunch at The Brock House.  Not only because I skipped out on the chocolate fountain this time but because it delivers where no other brunch restaurant in Durham has.  Compared to the city, it is hardly unique but it is definitely unique to Durham.  It offers quality, atmosphere and selection in a way that hasn't been done here before.  This new find can only be successful with their weekend decadence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment