Monday, December 20, 2010

Fancy Beer

Whenever I think about fancy, imported beer, I automatically think of this Mad Men episode where Don Draper et al are trying to market Heineken as a "fancy beer".  They place it in all the suburban supermarkets and hope to lure housewives to the product.  Don's idea is to position it as being imported and avant-garde and hope that they take the bait.  Later in the week, his wife hosts this dinner party where she features a menu from around the world - including "imported German beer" for the guests.  Of course, all of Don's guests are also coworkers and they think that he's put her up to the international menu.  Don is astounded 'cause he hasn't heard a thing of the menu of that night and his guests realize the guise isn't actually that, they all chuckle at how his marketing has really effectively worked on his own wife.  He really is that good.  But, I digress. 

I would like to use this post to point out a new fancy, imported beer that will be sure to become a household name in the years to come.  

I had the pleasure of stumbling across Estrella Damm earlier this year in its home of Barcelona.  I wasn't really looking for a new beer but this one was everywhere.  There is nothing outstanding about it, but when in Spain... 


So upon returning home, I was interested to find Estrella Damm at the Toronto Gourmet Wine and Food Expo.  I had a little again but was a little more fixed in on the one I hadn't seen before - Estrella Inedit.  Now, this is where I feel that I probably am just as gullible as Don's wife, Betty (or not!).  I really can't tell you if one beer is much better than the other but I'm drawn in by the marketing of it.  There really isn't anything like it.  The Inedit is actually supposed to be darker, spicier and perfect for food pairing.  It is apparently the first beer to actually be made specifically for food pairing and table service, by a chef.  Not only that, it is served in this perfect looking wine bottle that I just had to go get, just to set on the table next to some smoked ribs I made.  As my personality would have it, I hold wine bottle up to the man working at the LCBO and explain that it is actually beer and I start a conversation with the women in line behind me - we're all impressed.  Estrella has the marketing down pat, just like Don Draper would've done.  

It is priced for a litre at $6.95 at the LCBO and is available at a large selection of stores but not all.  I have found it in Brooklin, but you may want to search out the inventory of your local store on the LCBO website.  
 


If you are looking for something a little different this holiday - for a fancy beer - something international to spice up your menu, this is it.  It is decadent.  And fancy.  I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment