Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tiramisu: Better than Italy

I'm almost surprising myself here a little when the first little Durham gem I decide to post is an Italian one.  I'm not the biggest pasta or pizza fan and I feel that my own recipes outshine any Italian franchise I can find, but this locally owned Italian restaurant in Oshawa takes a big nod from me for just outdoing itself in flavour.  At least, I'm pretty sure it does - based on the carbonara that I keep ordering.  I've promised my friend Amanda, who introduced me to Avanti Trattoria, that I'll try something else from the entree menu but you just can't beat that prosciutto and cream sauce. 

This restaurant brings so much flavour to every meal.  They offer delicious Valpolicella red wine on their list, imported Trucillo espresso and imported Parmesan cheese and although I'm bursting at the seams by the end of every meal at Avanti - I doubt there is any tiramisu better than their tiramisu.  I've tried it, tried it and tried it again, most recently before the trip to Italy I took returning just three weeks ago.  With every bite of Avanti's recipe, one wonders if it tastes this good in Italy.  I was sure it did.  On a previous stop in Rome albeit several years ago, the tiramisu I remembered seemed to have that same melt in your mouth quality.  So, I put it to the test again.  And, I was shocked.  Their tiramisu is better than the one in Italy!  Is it possible?  Maybe I didn't go to a good tiramisu place there?  I don't know... You will have to be the judge.  I just can't wait to visit the King Street, Oshawa location and fill them in on what I've learned.

I don't know for sure, but I hear that they use an old family recipe.  Either way, this quality can't be denied - it is absolutely decadent.  Avanti offers tiramisu better than you can find in Italy... or at least pretty close...

No comments:

Post a Comment