Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Cookies

In the really short period of time that I've lived in Brooklin, the local bakery - aptly named Brooklin Bakery - has changed ownership three times.  Even though it has been in Brooklin for decades, there was a period of time where I avoided it completely.  The last thing that I ever hope to see in a small-town bakery is mass produced baked goods.  Thankfully, the provisions and ownership has changed again and I am happy to have visited the bakery more in the past few months than I have in the past few years.  Maybe I've visted too much, maybe I should take cue from the free shortbread they gave me this morning.  But, without it, I would not have my inspiration for this update for you.

'Tis the season to be invited to way too many potlucks, parties and opportunities at the office for ridiculous amounts of sugar.  It is sometimes hard to know what to bring where, again avoiding mass produced items.  So, let me tell you about chocolate shortbread.  Have you tried it before?  I had never even heard of it until today.  There it was - small and sweet and drizzled with white, this dark chocolately cookie is simply too decadent to ignore this season.  I wish I had taken a photo of it, but I finished it off so quickly that I didn't have time to even think about it. 

I've had my fair share of different kinds of cookies and pastries but this one is new to me, you will enjoy it too.  You will also bring something 'new' to the table if you are in need of a decadent treat.  They are sold for $3.49 per half-dozen.  Or, you can opt for the regular Christmas cookies and shortbread, a little smaller in size, priced at $1.99 per half-dozen.  Either way, with the price of Walker's Shortbread, I guarantee these cookies are a steal and far more unique.  This is not to mention the fresh pies, bread and croissants on offering (the BEST cheese croissants that I've found within kilometers) - the Brooklin Bakery is back and more decadent than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment